Hinge App Review


Hinge is a dating app that is unlike most other dating apps. Instead of using a traditional matching algorithm to connect members on the platform, Hinge matches its members by examining their friend lists on Facebook. Members will then be presented with matches who are their mutual Facebook friends. This means that their matches are friends of their friends on Facebook. The idea is that this creates a common interest between two people and they’re more likely going to be a good match for each other. Most importantly, it reduces the chances of members ending up with a catfish or some person who misrepresents themselves.

Hinge is available to international users, but 94% of its members are located in the United States. Most of the remaining 6% are in Canada and the United Kingdom. Virtually all the traffic that goes to the Hinge website and app is organic. The app is available in both the Google Play Store for Android users and the Apple App Store for iOS users. On average, there are about 3,000 new relationships created weekly through this platform. These are mostly relationships that are either friendships or long-term romantic relationships.

How Does Hinge Work

It is easy to sign up for a new account on Hinge. You just need a Facebook profile that you can link to your Hinge account. All your Facebook profile information will be imported into your Hinge profile. This process cannot be reversed after it has been initiated. The platform will use your Facebook information as the basis of your Hinge profile information. You won’t be able to edit this information either.

For this reason, it is recommended that you edit your Facebook profile first and make sure you don’t have any revealing personal information about yourself on there that you don’t want strangers to know. If you set certain information to private on Facebook, it will still be viewable to members on Hinge. Keep that in mind.

Once your account is created, a list of potential matches will be made available. You’ll simply scan through these matches and start chatting with anyone who looks good to you. It is completely free to begin a conversation with another member. Hinge encourages dating rather than hooking up. Even though the matches are your mutual friends on Facebook who likely live in your local area, you’re still encouraged to meet them for the purpose of dating and establishing a long-term relationship with them.

The matching algorithm on Hinge considers the personal interests of members in addition to their mutual connections on Facebook. That way, you’ll have more to talk about with matches besides who your common friends are.  Communication can be made either through the mobile app version of the platform or its desktop version.


Hinge offers a completely free membership which allows you to search for matches and communicate with them. You can filter these matches according to their religion, ethnicity, height, distance, age, location, and gender. However, there is a preferred membership upgrade option for just $7 per month. This will give you extra filtering options for your searches. These filters include drug use, marijuana use, politics, smoking, children, and drinking. You can also see who has “liked” your profile.

Unique Features

The most unique feature about the Hinge dating platform is how it matches members to their mutual friends on Facebook. This keeps you within your own social circle and helps you develop new friendships through mutual friendships. Similar to Tinder, the Hinge app has a swipe feature for approving or disapproving matches that you see listed on your screen.

Another interesting feature is “Your Turn.” If you start a conversation with somebody but you don’t continue it for a long time, you will be reminded about the conversation with this feature. This is designed to prevent people from simply abandoning someone without officially ending their conversation or relationship.

The meetup aspect of the platform is focused more on generalized interests. You won’t be taking a personality test or anything like that. The common interests that you both share will be a good enough reason to meet up with them. For instance, if the profiles of you and a potential match both indicate that you like ice cream, you could offer to meet that person at an ice cream shop so that you can eat ice cream together.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with is the lack of privacy when it comes to your Facebook information. All the photographs, phone numbers, website addresses and other information that you’ve put on your Facebook account will get transferred over to your Hinge account. Anything that was set to private on Facebook will be public on Hinge. This might deter some people from the platform unless they don’t mind deleting some of their private Facebook information first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *